When I think of the word "support", I immediately think of things that help you. Help you physically, emotionally, mentally, etc. Support can come from a lot of difference people, places, and things, but they are all crucial in your success in one way or another. If I think about this last year, I think back to a year full of the unknown, full of worry, and full of change. The most meaningful "supports" to me this last year have been my family in offering both physical and emotional support, my faith in offering mental support, and my job to offer my family and I the stable financial support we needed to get through this year in one piece. Support can come from anywhere, and sometimes something that might support you could be of no use to someone or something else, it is very subjective to the person or thing at hand.
If I look at a tough situation, let's say losing my job, I would need many supports to make it through that difficult time. First, I'd need financial support to keep feeding my family, paying my bills, and to pay the house payment. Next, I'd need family support. I'd need them to help physically take care of my children while I get back on my feet, but more than that, I'd need there emotional support to help me through the dark times. And lastly, I'd need the support of close friends. I'd need them to be the light in the hard times, to be the smile at the end of a tough day, and to hold me up when I want to fall.
A useful and necessary support can change in a moment depending on the person and/or situation. We have to look at each day (and sometimes each moment) to see the need, and then find ways to fill it. As educators, this is literally what we do all day everyday for the children and families in our programs. We get to know them, we listen, we watch, and then we try with all that we have to support them however needed to make them feel and be successful. Without support, the weight of the problem and/or situation lands on one person or thing, and even the toughest/strongest person needs help from outside sources more often than not.

I love your post Jessica. I posted mostly about material items I need to complete my daily goals but your post makes me think of more emotional and mental supports. The past year has been extremely hard on so many people. I am glad you have such a loving family and close friends to turn to for support.
ReplyDelete